Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Why Theological Materialism? (reblog from May 4 2013)


It seems to me that phenomenologists, like Husserl and Heidegger, are a modern extension of Aquinas, but they bring in far more doubt about a priori reasoning and new doubt about empiricism as being unable to find the whole truth. They also tend toward individualism in thinking that the real, at least what we can see of the real, is reduced to what the individual-self can see, which seems too reduced from the sociobiological perspective which I try to apply in seeing what is real.

I don't think that historicism is the answer either, that is, the study of history as the prime tool for defining humanity, I think sociobiology is a better tool. But I would agree with those who think that our questions still exceed the powers of the human mind. Yet I do think these questions may be answered with the further evolution of our intelligence.
 
I believe in the Enlightenment, the miracle of science, and as I have indicated I especially treasure the new/old science of sociobiology, and such exponents of it as Raymond Cattell and E. O. Wilson. Even so, empiricism and reason do not do it all for me as they tend to do for Cattell and Wilson who do not seem to value intellectual intuition and faith enough to fit my experience of the world. Specialization in various fields has presented the single empirical tree in all its detail but not much of the phenomenal forest.
But I have faith in science and reason that they will one day explain the still mysterious activations of life, such as the inward activation of material life by the material Spirit-Will-To-Godhood, with the divine goal of evolving to Godhood, while being shaped by outside evolution.
.
What philosophy could this define? I call it theological materialism, a religious philosophy, a philosophical sociobiology, which includes old religion in new science as in the Twofold Path.

No comments:

Post a Comment