Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Why I accept Nietzsche's advice to quit grumbling and accept my fate


I've made big changes in my philosophy through the years, not with 10,000 people watching, more like a few hundred people watching, and the changes looked like being inconsistent in principles, or at variance with stability. It seems better to people if you can remain the same all through your life or make changes right in line with your past work.

But I wasn't lucky enough to be raised with a philosophy I could maintain all my life. And maybe because of that I developed a distrust of intellectual authority, which had both good and bad consequences in my life. The good was the creative independence I had in developing my philosophy, the bad was burning all my bridges so others could not easily follow me, or me them.

I developed at least five new religious philosophies before I arrived at my present philosophy, which is lasting. I began with rejecting Christianity and developing several new versions of paganism. Then over time, influenced by both conservation and sociobiology, I developed Evolutionary Catholicism. And finally after much study and thinking I developed theological materialism and the projected Theoevolutionary Church.

Each time, with each change, I sent my work to people who couldn't follow my changes over the years or who still think I have the same past views---even my family, which bothers me. Those who follow me now are mostly new people.

But I know I wouldn't be who I am today and I wouldn't have developed my present philosophy if my life had gone any other way. So, as best I can I accept Nietzsche's advice, which he got from the Greeks, to quit grumbling (as I have just done) and accept my fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment