Saturday, October 26, 2013

The right kind of Burke


I could have used the right kind of Burke, not the Rousseauan sort of individualism and dislike of society taught in our universities, but the Burke of Russell Kirk, and more recently Jesse Norman. For example, when I discovered how the biological origin of human nature and cultural behavior had been buried beneath cultural Marxism I overcompensated in the typical way with revolutionary thoughts of righting the wrongs. I could have used the real Burke's sane voice.

Burke's voice and the voice of the paleoconservatives helped me to affirm my ideas on Ordered Evolution, which Burke would have called Ordered Liberty. I eventually understood that human societies are not built in a day (duh!), and how there is a long partnership between the living, the dead, and the future. The nature/nurture discussions of sociobiology were anticipated by Burke's idea that humans are driven by emotions and customs as well as logic.

I wouldn't want to claim Burke regarding the theological materialism and evolutionary religion I came to affirm, which is certainly a big paradigm shift, but the Twofold Path includes the Inward Path of Christianity, and revolutionary causality became evolutionary causality, largely thanks to Burke's realistic prudence.

No comments:

Post a Comment