Saturday, August 06, 2016

On telling the truth


Telling the truth and hating lies was probably initiated by my parents who hated lies and would punish lies but rarely punish the truth. I hate lies.

I will occasionally tell a white lie to keep from hurting people, but even this much can be a danger to a truthful social modulation. I always hope that people can tell the difference between social and anti-social truths, but they often cannot, and so telling the truth does have social consequences---so courage is required. (As an aside I think actor Marlon Brando was right when he said the essence of great acting is lying truthfully.)

But the truth is harder to find when you wade into philosophy. The lesson here is that you tell the truth as you know it, never lie, and correct yourself when you are wrong about the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment